Becoming A Christ Follower
Why do I want to become a Christ-Follower?
To glorify God ... “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” 1 Peter 2:9 NIV
To know God ... “I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” John 17:26 NIV
To enjoy life in Him Forever ... “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
But … there is a problem. Because we have sinned (disobeyed God’s commands), we have severed our relationship with God and have fallen short of His intended purpose for our lives. This separation will lead to eternal death unless we are reconciled to God.
- “…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23 NIV
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23 NIV
So … here’s the question of the ages: How can we be reconciled to God? How can we bridge the canyon and make things right with our Creator?
Many … have tried various ways to get across the canyon without success.
Yet … because God loves us He gave us His Son to pay the debt we owe.
- [Jesus said], “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 NIV
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 NIV
You … have a decision to make. On which side of the canyon are you? Are you still on man’s side, trying to get across on your own effort? Or have you made the decision to use the bridge created by the cross of Christ? If you haven’t crossed over, what should you do?
First … accept salvation as God’s free gift for all who believe in Jesus Christ.
- [Jesus said], “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 NIV
- “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV
How … do you demonstrate that you have accepted Christ’s free gift? How do you open this package God has give to you?
Repent … of your sins. To repent means to change your mind. Decide today that you no longer want to live life doing your own thing, but you want to follow God’s path instead.
- “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” Acts 3:19 NIV
Confess … that Jesus Christ is Lord.
- “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord.’ And believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9 NIV
Be Baptized … into Christ. To be baptized means to be immersed in water. Baptism is a reminder that our sins have been washed away. It is also a symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, reminding us that when we are saved we die to our old selves and are raised to live a new life with Christ.
- “Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’” Acts 2:38 NIV
- “…don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” Romans 6:3-4 NIV
- “and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also – not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ…" 1Peter 3:21 NIV
- “In him you were also…buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead. When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having cancelled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.” Colossians 2:11-14 NIV
If … you believe in your heart that Jesus is your Savior and you are ready to confess that Jesus is Lord and be baptized into Christ, Contact Center Pointe Christian Church (513-779-8800) to arrange an appointment regarding your next step.
Church Partnership … at Center Pointe Christian Church is extended to any believer who has attended our Starting Pointe class, been immersed for baptism and desires to become a member of the church. Contact the church for more information 513-779-8800.
Be Assured … if you have put your trust in Christ, you are the possessor of eternal life. Congratulations! Your sins have been forgiven. You have received the gift of the Holy Spirit and the promise of eternal life. You have been reconciled with God and you can begin anew to build your relationship with Him.
- “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:11-13 NIV
- “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 NIV
God created you for a purpose … to know him, to glorify him and to enjoy a satisfying life for all eternity. Begin today to renew your relationship with him and fulfill your purpose!